The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported lamb and beef brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
Do you have 5 years Food Safety & Quality Assurance experience in the fresh or frozen meat processing industry - beef or lamb knowledge an asset?
Do you thrive in a dynamic environment and rise to a challenge?
Do you have a strong work ethic, are dedicated to getting results and enjoy partnering with Production Management Team to ensure food safety?
If so, then read on and apply to our Food Safety & Quality Assurance Team Leader role in the Los Angeles area, with competitive salary, bonus and Company paid benefits.
To learn more about our Company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
The Food Safety & Quality Assurance Team Leader drives shareholder value by ensuring food safety and the production of high quality products that meet our specifications and consumer expectations while maintaining an excellent rating for our quality system. Reporting to the Director, Food Safety & Quality Assurance, and working closely with the Plant Manager, employees within the Los Angeles Processing Facility, office and an external Food and Drug Administration Inspector, The FS & QA Team Leader leads the development, implementation, maintenance and improvement of the Food Safety and Quality Systems. He / she proactively implements processes and procedures to maintain annual Safe Quality Food Institute (SQFI) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) certifications. The FS & QA Team Leader will direct the work of a Meat Inspector, and Quality Assurance Technicians.
- HACCP Program Support: Maintains a thorough knowledge of quality systems including HACCP programs. Stays current with changing regulatory requirements, implements and communicates new processes and procedures to remain compliant. Signs off on Critical Control Point checks completed by the QA line worker as outlined in the HACCP and SQF requirements.
- Certifications: Is responsible for internal, third party or government inspections and audits. Manages all re-certification audits for the Los Angeles production facility (SQF, HACCP, GMP).
- People Management: Manages the QA team and provides direction, development, and regular coaching and support. Administers the Company’s Human Resources Policies and Procedures with respect to hiring, management, discipline, and performance decisions for staff. Oversees and verifies the activities of the QA Meat Inspector and QA Technicians, ensuring all required documentation and inspection of the raw materials and finished products are complete and accurate.
- Investigations: Checks and investigates customer returns and complaints; follows up on possible reasons for complaint (temperature abuse, date expiry, over order, etc.). Performs micro analysis if required.
- Records and Reporting/Verification: Maintains corporate policies relating to Food Safety and Quality. Keeps accurate records for traceability. Regularly reports to suppliers with findings and documents corrective action.
- Communications: Ensures timely communication with Sales and Suppliers regarding changes in shipments or specifications verifying changes are noted as acceptable. Manages the hold and release program, and takes appropriate action when any product fails to meet required specifications.
- Training: Assists with creating, modifying and conducting relevant HACCP, Food Safety and GMP training for production plant employees to ensure HACCP policies are met and followed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned, and initiates recommendations to further enhance the company’s recognition as a top employer.
Key Success Measures
- There are zero non-compliance Food Safety and Quality Assurance issues in the Company
- Product is received, processed, shipped and controlled according to specifications
- New hires receive HACCP, GMP and Food Safety training to perform their duties
- Training programs are updated and training records are maintained
- Surveyed and measured customer feedback scores meet or exceed target around quality, service, integrity, and food safety
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Microbiology or related field
- 5 years food safety team leader experience in the food (raw meat) processing industry, butchery knowledge and meat grinding QA experience an asset
- Product, processing, packaging and specification knowledge an asset
- In depth understanding of SQF and HACCP system. Able to navigate easily through FSIS USDA websites and SQF program to locate specific sections of the program pertaining to daily tasks
- Thorough knowledge of quality assurance principles, US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) meat processing regulations and Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and Food Safety Enhancement Program(FSEP) and Good Manufacturing Practises (GMP) standards
- Experience upholding state regulations, such as California Law PROP65
- Organized self-starter with proven ability to manage and effectively follow up on multiple projects and assignments and meet all deadlines
- Excellent observational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to collect, maintain, evaluate data, summarize and write reports, and recommend continuous improvement
- Good oral, written and communication skills; able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with production and office staff and external FDA Inspectors
- Proficient in computer software, such as inventory / traceability software, manufacturing software and Microsoft Office
- Strong teaching, coaching, mentoring skills, willingness to train others
- Team player with high integrity, values and a positive attitude
- Able to effectively handle the high stress, time and work demands that come with responsibility as FS & QA Team Leader for the Lamb Company
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NOTE: As an essential services employer, without the ability to work remotely, we require all workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The Lamb Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.