Do you have 5 or more years' experience as a Supervisor in the fresh and frozen raw meat processing industry?
Do you have a solid health & safety and food safety understanding and track record?
Do you have a passion for coaching and developing front line associates?
Are you comfortable working straight afternoon shift, Monday to Friday and thrive in a fast paced, dynamic work environment?
Then read on to learn about our new opportunity in Etobicoke. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, great communication skills, computer proficiency and take pride in doing a good job and leading successful teams.
We offer a competitive hourly rate and Company paid benefits and pension
The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported beef and lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
About the Role:
Title: Operations Supervisor – Toronto, Afternoon Shift
Reports to: Plant Manager - Toronto, with a dotted line reporting to the Warehouse Manager - Toronto
As Operations Supervisor - Toronto, helps to plan production, ensure adequate supplies of raw materials and packaging, assists with scheduling and coordinating the work activities and resources necessary to achieve timely availability of processed product, in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications to achieve and maximize short and long term objectives for margins, volume throughput, and quality. Confers with Plant Manager to provide timely profitable solutions to customer needs while meeting the highest possible standards for quality, service, integrity, health & safety and food safety. Has full responsibility for Toronto Plant personnel on the afternoon shift, including hiring, training, and safety. Oversees work activities for Production, Warehouse, Maintenance, Engineering & Sanitation on the afternoon shift. This role works closely with the Procurement team and Sales teams to ensure adequate inventory of raw material and finished product to support the business within established Company guidelines. Works with the Management team on the consideration and launch of all new products affecting plant processing. Works in partnership with the Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance to support a continuous improvement approach to food safety and quality assurance.
- Processing & Production: Helps plan, organize, and execute all processing operations and production activities at the Toronto Processing facility on the afternoon shift. Works collaboratively with the Plant Manager and Procurement team to ensure that the plant carries enough inventory to meet customer needs at all times and that production schedules and staffing ensure full product availability in all product lines at all times for regions served by the plant.
- Warehousing: Maintains an understanding of inventory, warehousing and distribution operations for the Lamb Company’s Toronto plant. This includes adherence to all legislative, safety, regulatory and organizational policies and procedures. Oversees the reception, handling, distribution, and storage of all incoming raw materials, outgoing finished goods picked from the Warehouse, and products and supplies that come in and out of the plant. Schedules lumpers for unloading of containers following all guidelines for safety and inspection.
- Purchasing, Inventory, & Delivery: Works closely with the Procurement team to ensure required supply of product is delivered to the plant in a timely manner as required to support the business and meet customer orders. Contacts vendors to arrange for purchasing and delivery of materials and other products to the plant for processing. Monitors raw material and finished product stocks on hand ensuring proper inventory levels within corporate guidelines and ensuring proper product rotation. Ensures orders are scheduled and processed in a timely manner to optimize delivery to customers in accordance with sales requirements.
- People Management: Directs workers engaged in the processing, packaging, freezing, storing, and picking/packing/shipping of Company’s products. Directs processing operations to make safe, efficient use of resources with manpower, materials, and equipment. Provides direction, development, plus training to all processing plant employees either directly or indirectly through Lead Hands or Alchemy training. Administers the Company’s Human Resources Policies and Procedures with respect to hiring, management, scheduling, discipline, safety training, HACCP training and performance decisions for staff.
- Maintenance & Repairs: Helps coordinate activities with respect to installing, dismantling, maintaining, repairing, and moving machines and equipment.
- Financial: Assists with financial management of the Toronto Plant as it pertains to the afternoon shift. Helps review costs and product quality, modifying production plus inventory control programmes to maintain and enhance profitable operations. Controls labor overtime, repair, and supply expenses. Ensures compliance with product quality standards. Sets, records and monitors KPIs for all Production lines, employees and Warehouse activities.
- Health & Safety: Ensures the organization has a current and compliant Health & Safety policy and that this accords with the overall objectives of the organization. Models behaviors that support the Health & Safety policy; holds direct reports accountable for ensuring that they too model appropriate behaviors. Ensures that the organization consistently complies with all Health & Safety policies and legislative requirements. Ensures that the Health & Safety Supervisor, Warehouse Manager, Plant Manager and Director of Operations are briefed on any Health & Safety incidents. Understands the plant’s disaster recovery programme and that it is in compliance with all legislative and regulatory requirements for Canada governing processing, warehousing, and distribution operations.
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance: Ensures that the processing facility workforce and activities support SQF, HACCP, GMPs and all food safety guidelines and regulations. Models behaviors that demonstrate the right balance between production, safety and quality.
- Maintains regular contact with the Procurement team, Sales team, the local CFIA inspector, and other regulatory personnel. Helps plan and coordinate routine, preventative and emergency maintenance. Monitors quality testing results and takes action as needed to ensure all quality specifications are met. Keeps corporate management completely informed on key operational (production and warehouse) conditions and trends. Ensures prompt and decisive handling of service and product complaints as they arise.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Key Success Measures
- The Toronto facility achieves its revenue, cost, and volumes targets for the fiscal year
- Processed and value-added product availability is per Company plan
- There are zero non-compliance Health & Safety issues in the Toronto processing plant
- Production orders are available on time in adherence to delivery schedules and without errors in product type, quality, or quantity
- Inventory control is such that product expiry and shortages are kept to the absolute minimum
- Staff is at appropriate levels, appropriately trained, and regretted employee turnover is at or below Company targets
- Surveyed and measured customer feedback scores meet or exceed target around quality, service, integrity, and food safety
Qualifications & Considerations For The Position
- Secondary school graduation diploma or equivalent
- 5+ years’ operating as a Food Processing Plant Supervisor with a North American or Global Meat Industry Manufacturer and Distributor
- Some butchery experience, knowledge of cuts of meat, preference given to value added, case ready experience specific to beef grinding, steaking, portion cutting
- Fluent in English (written and verbal communication)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability supervising and training production and warehouse workers
- Demonstrated effectiveness in product, processing, and packaging and in serving customer needs while meeting the highest possible standards
- Champions quality and safety; defines and upholds standards and values and models these behaviors for all staff
- Knowledge of and demonstrated compliance to HACCP, quality control systems & procedures, and legislated and regulatory health, safety, and food standards
Able to effectively handle the high stress, time and work demands that come with responsibility as afternoon shift Operations Supervisor - Toronto for the Lamb Company
To learn more about our Company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NOTE: As an essential services employer, without the ability to work remotely, we require all workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
As a Leader on the afternoon shift, you will contribute to the Company's Mission, Vision and Core Values:
Mission: The Lamb Company will uphold the highest possible standards for quality, service, and integrity for our customers, safe, meaningful and rewarding careers for our employees and in turn will provide positive comparable returns to our shareholders.
Vision: The Lamb Company will remain the number one importer, value added processor, marketer and distributer of sustainably sourced premium, claims based lamb and beef products in North America.
Core Values: As Lamb Company employees, we expect you to demonstrate and uphold our core values in interactions with internal and external partners.
Engagement: Displays enthusiasm for job duties and participates in the attainment and advancement of organization goals and interests.
Innovation: Displays the ability to think outside the box in order to develop creative and new solutions or products that meet current and future needs.
Professionalism: Displays the behaviors and competencies that are expected of the position and the organization.
Respect: Displays an appreciation of different opinions, roles, experiences and backgrounds, follows the chain of command.
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.