If you have a solid track record selling lamb or other meat protein, a desire to advance your career in a growing organization, and thrive in a dynamic environment, then read on to learn about our exciting new sales opportunity in the Vancouver area. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, are dedicated to getting results and enjoy the balance of about 60% business development and 40% account management. Primarily, you will work 5 days a week from our Richmond office when not on the road to see customers (about 10 % travel).
The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from pasture to plate.
To learn more about our company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
Reporting to the Regional Sales Manager, Western Canada, the Sales Manager is responsible for managing and growing a retail sales and food services business for The Lamb Company in Western Canada. This is a key position requiring the successful candidate to work closely with the North American sales and marketing operations teams toward meeting our shareholder expectations in terms of growth, returns, customer services and company values.
1. Sales Strategy: Together with the EVP Sales & Procurement, the Regional Sales Manager and other members of the North American marketing team, researches and develops annual and longer term strategies and plans, identifying opportunities for better serving existing retail customers and fulfilling new retail customer needs in the region.
2. Sales, and Marketing:
a. In conjunction with the EVP, the Regional Sales Manager and working closely with the North American marketing team researches and develops an annual sales plan in concert with developed sales strategies and where appropriate, long term marketing plans.
b. Creates customer specific retail sales business plans and budgets, ensuring that they are complete, align with the objectives of the organization, and adhere to statutory requirements and are completed on time.
c. Contributes to the planning, development, issuance and delivery of company promotional and sales communications materials for the region ensuring that local requirements around language and messaging are respected.
3. Procurement Plan: Working closely with the North American procurement team, reviews and confirms monthly and seasonal inventory replenishment orders in line with the annual sales plan and shifting customer demand, as well, keeps the procurement team aware of any planned and new feature/ad activity that will require additional product.
4. Customer & Distribution Relationship Management:
a. Maintains and strengthens mutually beneficial, profitable, effective and enduring customer relationships with superior communications, programs, and distribution strategies toward strategic and exclusive/primary supply contracts with our major retail and food service customers.
b. In accordance with the strategic objectives of the organization, identifies prospective customers and distribution channels and actively develops relationships with the view to convert into profitable and sustainable business. Maintains continuous contact with designated clients at both the buying and senior management levels and regular contact with select industry counterparts and intercompany peers.
c. Maintains a strong market intelligence network to keep abreast of competitive activities and customer developments to safeguard the company’s financial and volume interests.
5. Logistics and Transportation: Communicates the channels of distribution in the region in conjunction with Transportation and Logistics personnel to ensure timely, reliable deliveries of customer orders. Monitors stocks on hand in regional storage centres maintaining proper inventory levels within corporate guidelines and ensuring proper product rotation.
6. Supplier Relations: In addition to regular communications with the procurement and marketing team, communicates regularly with major suppliers to educate and keep an edge and advantage over the competition in terms of current market events and trends.
7. Performance Effectiveness:
a. Achieves all financial, customer, product, and business goals in the Western Canada retail and food services market in every product line on a monthly and annual basis.
b. Reviews and monitors accounts receivables for the region, ensuring prompt payments are received so as to reduce company exposure to bad debts and to improve cash flow. Ensures that the EVP is kept informed of all pertinent development risks, opportunities, and information relating to the Western Canada market.
c. Prepares monthly territory reports and general comments on customer’s products versus plan and market activity.
d. In conjunction with the Regional Sales Manager, Western Canada, prepares and undertakes professional development.
8. Business Development: Identifies and considers opportunities for business growth and development. Works with the Director Product Development to identify and execute new retail product opportunities. Works closely with the Business Analyst, and maintains a network of influencers, stakeholders, and others who may assist in the identification, analysis, validation, and conversion of new business opportunities. Makes recommendations where appropriate to pursue and convert such opportunities.
· Achieves all retail and food service brands and sales, market share, volume, revenue, profit and accounts receivable objectives on a monthly and annual basis for the region, ensuring retention and growth of the retail and food services client base.
· While adhering to company inventory targets, ensures the successful delivery of retail and food services products within the Company’s approved procurement programs at all times and throughout the region, fully satisfying customer supply needs.
Qualifications & Considerations For The Position
· 5 years’ experience in regional retail and food services sales developing and implementing sales and strategy in a sizeable North American or Global Food Services Industry manufacturer and distributor, where international supply and distribution expertise is an asset.
· Prior experience in retail protein sales and would have conducted business with major retailers such as OWFG, IGA, Sobeys, as well as T & T Supermarket and other mid-sized retailers; Gordon Food Service, Sysco and other wholesalers experience is a plus.
· Excellent communication, influencing and negotiation skills.
· Thorough understanding of the retail and food services business including setting sales budgets , creating sales and marketing strategies, and executing forward sales plans.
· Ability to create promotional campaigns across all media and platforms.
· Understanding of the case ready-retail ready meat processing systems.
· Fluency in English.
· Demonstrated skills in sales planning and execution. Displays strong commercial acumen. Analyses key drivers, opportunities, and competitive advantages to develop and execute on strategies to benefit the Company’s business. Has been able to develop and convert strategic business relationships into valuable business. High degree of expertise in contract negotiation, structuring, setting, and managing sales quota and revenue goals.
· Understands and has appropriate relationships and a track record of securing supply to ensure fulfillment of customer needs.
· Demonstrates professionalism throughout the organization and is a credible and trustworthy person who holds the respect and loyalty of all stakeholders; has tenacity in pursuing goals and ensures that personal goals align with and contribute to attainment of Company goals.
· Is open to and accepts taking on such responsibilities as assigned by the Regional Sales Manager, Western Canada, to support achievement of annual and strategic business goals.
· Able to effectively handle the high stress, time and travel demands that come with responsibility as Sales Manager for the Lamb Company’s operations in Western Canada and longer term potential in the Pacific North West (Seattle, Portland, etc.).
· Must have strong Excel skills and knowledge of Presentation and ERP software.
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.