Do you have a solid track record developing, monitoring, updating and implementing HACCP programs in the raw meat, grinding and further processing industry? Do you have experience doing internal audits to maintain SQF Version 8 Level 2 certification? Do you thrive in a dynamic environment and rise to a challenge?
Read on to learn about our exciting Food Safety & Quality Assurance Team Leader opportunity in the South Jersey area in our new facility. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, are dedicated to getting results and enjoy mentoring a team.
The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
To learn more about our company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
The Food Safety & Quality Assurance Team Leader drives shareholder value by ensuring food safety and the production of high quality products that meet our specifications and consumer expectations while maintaining an excellent rating for our quality system. Reports to the General Manager, Processing & Operations, and works closely with the Production Manager, employees within the New Jersey Processing Facility, office and an external Food and Drug Administration Inspector. The FS & QA Team Leader leads the development, implementation, maintenance and improvement of the Food Safety and Quality Systems. The FS & QA Team Leader liaises with the Canadian Manager of Food Safety and Quality Assurance to align the Food Safety Programs to the extent possible. He / she proactively implements processes and procedures to maintain annual Safe Quality Food Institute (SQFI) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) certifications. The FS & QA Team Leader will direct the work of a Quality Assurance Technician, a Meat Inspector, and a Quality Assurance line worker.
HACCP Program Support: Maintains a thorough knowledge of quality systems including HACCP programs. Stays current with changing regulatory requirements, implements and communicates new processes and procedures to remain compliant. Signs off on Critical Control Point checks completed by the QA line worker as outlined in the HACCP and SQF requirements.
Certifications: Is responsible for internal, third party or government inspections and audits. Manages all re-certification audits for the New Jersey production facility (SQF, HACCP, GMP).
People Management: Supervises the QA team and provides direction, development, and regular coaching and support. Administers the Company’s Human Resources Policies and Procedures with respect to hiring, management, discipline, and performance decisions for staff. Oversees and verifies the activities of the QA Meat Inspector and QA Technician, ensuring all required documentation and inspection of the raw materials and finished products are complete and accurate.
Investigations: Checks and investigates customer returns and complaints; follows up on possible reasons for complaint (temperature abuse, date expiry, over order, etc.). Performs micro analysis if required.
Records and Reporting/Verification: Maintains corporate policies relating to Food Safety and Quality. Keeps accurate records for traceability. Regularly reports to suppliers with findings and documents corrective action.
Communications: Ensures timely communication with Sales and Suppliers regarding changes in shipments or specifications verifying changes are noted as acceptable. Manages the hold and release program, and takes appropriate action when any product fails to meet required specifications.
Training: Assists with creating, modifying and conducting relevant HACCP, Food Safety and GMP training for production plant employees to ensure HACCP policies are met and followed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned, and initiates recommendations to further enhance the company’s recognition as a top employer.
Key Success Measures
- There are zero non-compliance Food Safety and Quality Assurance issues in the Company
- Product is received, processed, shipped and controlled according to specifications
- New hires receive HACCP, GMP and Food Safety training to perform their duties
- Training programs are updated and training records are maintained
- Surveyed and measured customer feedback scores meet or exceed target around quality, service, integrity, and food safety
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Microbiology or related field
- 5 years food safety team leader experience in the food (raw meat) processing industry, butchery knowledge and meat grinding QA experience an asset
- Product, processing, packaging and specification knowledge an asset
- In depth understanding of SQF and HACCP system. Able to navigate easily through FSIS USDA websites and SQF program to locate specific sections of the program pertaining to daily tasks
- Thorough knowledge of quality assurance principles, US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) meat processing regulations and Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and Food Safety Enhancement Program(FSEP) and Good Manufacturing Practises (GMP) standards
- Experience upholding all state regulations
- Organized self-starter with proven ability to manage and effectively follow up on multiple projects and assignments and meet all deadlines
- Excellent observational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to collect, maintain, evaluate data, summarize and write reports, and recommend continuous improvement
- Good oral, written and communication skills; able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with production and office staff and external FDA Inspectors
- Proficient in computer software, such as inventory / traceability software, manufacturing software and Microsoft Office
Strong teaching, coaching, mentoring skills, willingness to train others
- Team player with high integrity, values and a positive attitude
- Able to effectively handle the high stress, time and work demands that come with responsibility as FS & QA Team Leader for the Lamb Company
The Lamb Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.