Are you an experienced Meat Processing Production Manager in search of an exciting opportunity to contribute in a brand new facility for a great Company with trusted brands?
Do you have previous experience with raw meat, grinding, further processing and value added lamb or beef?
Do you thrive in a dynamic environment and rise to a challenge?
If so, read on to learn about our exciting Production Manager opportunity in the South Jersey area in our newly built and equipped facility. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, are dedicated to getting results and enjoy mentoring a team.
The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
To learn more about our company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
As Production Manager, plans production, ensures adequate supplies of raw materials and packaging, directs, schedules and coordinates the work activities and resources necessary to achieve timely availability of processed product, in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications to achieve and maximize short and long term objectives for margins, volume throughput, and quality. Provides timely profitable solutions to customer needs while meeting the highest possible standards for quality, service, integrity and food safety. Has direct responsibility for New Jersey Plant Personnel, including hiring, training, and safety. Reports to and works closely with the General Manager, Processing & Operations. Works closely with the Procurement Director and Regional Sales Managers to ensure adequate inventory of raw material and finished product to support the business within established Company guidelines. Works with the Product Development Director on the consideration and launch of all new products affecting plant processing. Works in partnership with the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Team Leader to support a continuous improvement approach to food safety and quality assurance.
1. Processing & Production: Plans, organizes, and executes all processing operations and production activities at the New Jersey Processing facility. Ensures that the plants carry enough inventory to meet customer needs at all times and that production schedules and staffing ensure full product availability in all product lines at all times for regions served by the plant.
2. Operations: Develops and implements an annual operations plan and expense budget for the processing plant including production throughput objectives that support the corporate business plan. Manages and monitors yield and production costs; and reviews and monitors daily production data to ensure prompt attention to and correction of variances. Develops and implements process improvements and recommends new equipment acquisitions and facility upgrades. Together with the General Manager Processing & Operations, prepares an annual Capital Expenditure Plan and Budget for the New Jersey processing facility in accordance with Company’s policies and procedures.
3. Warehousing: Responsible for direct and indirect management of all inventory, warehousing and distribution operations for the Lamb Company’s New Jersey plant. This includes accountability for and adherence to all legislative, safety, and organizational policies and procedures. Accomplishes effective logistical oversight through strong leadership and appropriate controls. Oversees and coordinates the reception, handling, distribution, and storage of all products and supplies that come in and out of the plant.
4. Purchasing, Inventory, & Delivery: Works closely with the Procurement Director to ensure required supply of product is delivered to the plant in a timely manner as required to support the business and meet customer orders. Contacts vendors to arrange for purchasing and delivery of materials and other products to the plant for processing. Monitors raw material and finished product stocks on hand ensuring proper inventory levels within corporate guidelines and ensuring proper product rotation. Ensures orders are scheduled and processed in a timely manner to optimize delivery to customers in accordance with sales requirements.
5. People Management: Directs workers engaged in the processing, packaging, freezing, and storing of Company’s products. Directs processing operations to make safe, efficient use of resources with manpower, materials, and equipment. Provides direction, development, plus leadership to all processing plant employees either directly or indirectly through Supervisors and Team Leaders. Administers the Company’s Human Resources Policies and Procedures with respect to hiring, management, scheduling, discipline, safety training, and performance decisions for staff.
6. Maintenance & Repairs: Directs and coordinates activities with respect to installing, dismantling, maintaining, repairing, and moving machines and equipment
7. Financial: Responsible for financial management of the New Jersey Plant. Reviews costs and product quality, modifying production plus inventory control programs to maintain and enhance profitable operations. Controls labor overtime, repair, and supply expenses. Ensures compliance with product quality standards.
8. Health & Safety: Ensures the organization has a current and compliant Health & Safety policy and that this accords with the overall objectives of the organization. Models behaviors that support the Health & Safety policy; holds direct reports accountable for ensuring that they too model appropriate behaviors. Ensures that the organization consistently complies with all Health & Safety policies and legislative requirements. Ensures that the CEO and General Manager, Processing & Operations are briefed on any Health & Safety incidents. Ensures that the plant has an effective disaster recovery program and that it is in compliance with all legislative and regulatory requirements for the U.S.A. governing processing, warehousing, and distribution operations.
9. Food Safety and Quality Assurance: Ensures that the processing facility workforce and activities support SQF, HACCP, GMPs and all food safety guidelines and regulations. Works in partnership with the Food Safety & Quality Assurance Team Leader to ensure all food safety programs are followed. Models behaviors that demonstrate the right balance between production, safety and quality.
10. Maintains regular contact with the Procurement Director, Regional Sales Managers, the local USDA inspector, and other USDA and FSIS personnel. Oversees the planning and coordinating of routine, preventative and emergency maintenance. Monitors quality testing results and takes action as needed to ensure all quality specifications are met. Keeps corporate management completely informed on key operational and production conditions and trends. Ensures prompt and decisive handling of service and product complaints as they arise.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Key Success Measures
· The New Jersey facility achieves its revenue, cost, and volumes targets for the fiscal year
· Processed and value-added product availability is per Company plan
· There are zero non-compliance Health & Safety issues in the New Jersey processing plant
· Production orders are available on time in adherence to delivery schedules and without errors in product type, quality, or quantity
· Inventory control is such that product expiry and shortages are kept to the absolute minimum
· Staff is at appropriate levels, appropriately trained, and regretted employee turnover is at or below Company targets
· Surveyed and measured customer feedback scores meet or exceed target around quality, service, integrity, and food safety
Qualifications & Considerations For The Position
· 10+ years’ operating as a Food Processing Plant & Warehousing Manager with a North American or Global Meat Industry Manufacturer and Distributor.
· Fluent in English (written and verbal communication)
· Has Meat industry experience, with preferably some butchery experience
· Demonstrated effectiveness in product, processing, and packaging and in serving customer needs while meeting the highest possible standards
· Champions quality and safety; defines and upholds standards and values and models these behaviours for all staff
· Knowledge of and demonstrated compliance to HACCP, quality control systems & procedures, and legislated and regulatory health, safety, and food standards
· Able to effectively handle the high stress, time and work demands that come with responsibility as Production Manager for the Lamb Company
The Lamb Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.