The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from pasture to plate. To learn more about our company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
Do you have a solid track record of strong Supervisory skills in a fast-paced meat processing plant? Do you have experience supervising beef grinding, steak portioning, case ready and industrial meat cutting and packaging lines? Are you looking to advance your knowledge of premium imported lamb and beef to contribute to the success of our Company and our retail and food service customers? If so, read on and apply to our new growth opportunity in our recently expanded Compton California location.
As Production Supervisor, helps to plan production, ensure adequate supplies of raw materials and packaging, assists with scheduling and coordinating the work activities and resources necessary to achieve timely availability of processed product, in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications to achieve and maximize short and long term objectives for margins, volume throughput, and quality. Confers with Production Manager to provide timely profitable solutions to customer needs while meeting the highest possible standards for quality, service, integrity and food safety. Has supporting responsibility for Plant workers – full time or agency, including hiring, training, and safety. Reports to and works closely with the Production Manager. Works closely with Procurement department and Regional Sales Managers to ensure adequate inventory of raw material and finished product to support the business within established Company guidelines. Works with the Director, Product Development on the consideration and launch of all new products affecting plant processing. Works in partnership with the Food Safety and Quality Assurance team to support a continuous improvement approach to food safety and quality assurance.
1. Processing & Production: Helps plan, organize, and execute all meat processing operations and production activities at the Compton Processing facility. Works in tandem with the Production Manager to ensure that the plant carries enough inventory to meet customer needs at all times and that production schedules and staffing ensure full product availability in all product lines at all times for regions served by the plant.
2. Warehousing: Maintains an understanding of inventory, warehousing and distribution operations for the Lamb Company’s Compton plant. This includes adherence to all legislative, safety, and organizational policies and procedures. Helps coordinate the reception, handling, distribution, and storage of all products and supplies that come in and out of the plant.
3. Purchasing, Inventory, & Delivery: Works closely with Procurement to ensure required supply of product is delivered to the plant in a timely manner as required to support the business and meet customer orders. Contacts vendors to arrange for purchasing and delivery of materials and other products to the plant for processing. Monitors raw material and finished product stocks on hand ensuring proper inventory levels within corporate guidelines and ensuring proper product rotation. Ensures orders are scheduled and processed in a timely manner to optimize delivery to customers in accordance with sales requirements.
4. People Management: Directs workers engaged in the processing, packaging, freezing, and storing of Company’s products. Directs processing operations to make safe, efficient use of resources with manpower, materials, and equipment. Provides direction, development, plus training to all processing plant employees either directly or indirectly through Lead Hands. Administers the Company’s Human Resources Policies and Procedures with respect to hiring, management, scheduling, discipline, safety training, HACCP training and performance decisions for staff.
5. Maintenance & Repairs: Helps coordinate activities with respect to installing, dismantling, maintaining, repairing, and moving machines and equipment.
6. Financial: Assists with financial management of the Compton Plant as it pertains to the operations. Helps review costs and product quality, modifying production plus inventory control programs to maintain and enhance profitable operations. Controls labor overtime, repair, and supply expenses. Ensures compliance with product quality standards.
7. Health & Safety: Ensures the organization has a current and compliant Health & Safety policy and that this accords with the overall objectives of the organization. Models behaviors that support the Health & Safety policy; holds direct reports accountable for ensuring that they too model appropriate behaviors. Ensures that the organization consistently complies with all Health & Safety policies and legislative requirements. Ensures that the Production Manager and General Manager, Processing & Operations are briefed on any Health & Safety incidents. Understands the plant’s disaster recovery programme and that it is in compliance with all legislative and regulatory requirements for Compton governing processing, warehousing, and distribution operations.
8. Food Safety and Quality Assurance: Ensures that the processing facility workforce and activities support SQF, HACCP, GMPs and all food safety guidelines and regulations. Models behaviors that demonstrate the right balance between production, safety, food safety and quality.
9. Maintains regular contact with Procurement, Regional Sales Managers, the local USDA inspector, and other regulatory personnel. Helps plan and co-ordinate routine, preventative and emergency maintenance. Monitors quality testing results and takes action as needed to ensure all quality specifications are met. Keeps corporate management completely informed on key operational and production conditions and trends. Ensures prompt and decisive handling of service and product complaints as they arise.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Key Success Measures
· The Compton facility achieves its revenue, cost, and volumes targets for the fiscal year
· Further processed, case ready and value-added product availability is per Company plan
· There are zero non-compliance Health & Safety issues in the Compton processing plant
· Production orders are available on time in adherence to delivery schedules and without errors in product type, quality, or quantity
· Inventory control is such that product expiry and shortages are kept to the absolute minimum
· Staff is at appropriate levels, appropriately trained, and regretted employee turnover is at or below Company targets
· Surveyed and measured customer feedback scores meet or exceed target around quality, service, integrity, and food safety
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position
· Secondary school graduation diploma or equivalent
· 5+ years’ operating as a Food Processing Plant Lead Hand or Supervisor with a North American or Global Meat Industry Manufacturer and Distributor.
· Fluent in English (written and verbal communication), Spanish an asset
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated ability supervising and training production workers
· Has meat industry experience, preferably with butchery experience, including portion cutting
· Demonstrated effectiveness in product, processing, and packaging and in serving customer needs while meeting the highest possible standards
· Champions quality and safety; defines and upholds standards and values and models these behaviors for all staff
· Knowledge of and demonstrated compliance to HACCP, quality control systems & procedures, and legislated and regulatory health, safety, and food standards
· Able to effectively handle the high stress, time and work demands that come with responsibility as US Production Supervisor for the Lamb Company
Your application was submitted successfully.