The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported lamb and beef brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
Are you an outstanding Manufacturing Cost Accountant with 5 years’ experience looking to make an impact through improving processes and recommending best practices?
Are you accurate, organized and efficient with a sense of urgency to complete all tasks?
Then read on to learn about our Manufacturing Cost Accountant opportunity in our Compton California meat processing plant. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, excellent data collection and variance analysis skills.
Position: Manufacturing Cost Accountant – USA
Reports To: Assistant Controller - USA
The Cost Accountant is responsible for assisting the Finance / Accounting department with collecting, updating and analyzing all relevant costing data to create and maintain standard costs for materials and labor, preparing cost of goods sold and production reports, and reconciling raw materials, work in progress and finished goods inventory. Additionally, monitors purchase orders and invoicing to prepare monthly accruals. Assists in audits and implementing control systems. For all functional activities, works closely with and has a dotted line reporting relationship into the General Manager, Processing & Operations.
1. Data Collection: Collects data to update costing of each product; creates costing for new products; compiles documentation on standard costs and actual production costs
2. Costing: Develops or enhances costing models for new and existing products; provides cost information to support business decisions
3. Reporting: Prepares, reviews, analyzes and reconciles daily, weekly and monthly Production reports, including costing, inventory, yields and labor
4. Inventory Control: Coordinates weekly physical inventory counts and cycle counts on raw materials, finished products and packaging; investigates cycle counting variances and resolves issues; updates standard costs in the bill of materials; reconciles finished goods inventories
5. Analysis: Analyzes and communicates variances on labor, yields, material usage, and overhead
6. KPIs: Formulates and tracks appropriate KPIs
7. Process Monitoring: Monitors invoicing of raw materials into production room; monitors purchase orders for packaging and finished goods
8. Monthly Accruals: Prepares monthly accruals for packaging costs, labor and materials
9. Special Projects: Performs other related duties and special projects as assigned, including formulating and implementing processes to stop recurring/ongoing issues. Initiates recommendations to further enhance the company’s recognition as a top employer.
10. Cross-training: Provides support to the Processing Administration Clerks if needed by creating purchase orders, invoicing raw materials into production, etc.
11. Systems: Assists in the implementation of new scanning system, Merit-Trax, and uses daily to check yields and build reports for management review
12. Coding: Codes payables invoices relating to production for final approval
Key Success Measures
• Accurate & Timely Costing: All product costing is accurate, documented and communicated to ensure good business decisions and controls and completed in a timely manner
• Work quality: Reports, analysis and processes are completed without error, align with the needs of the organization, adhere to statutory requirements, and are delivered on time
• Coaching: Is available, approachable and knowledgeable, and willing to coach others to achieve peak performance
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
• 5 years of experience in a cost accounting and analysis role in a fast-paced perishable food manufacturing environment, meat industry experience an asset
• Organized and detail oriented with the ability to compile, analyze and interpret data
• Strong communication and collaboration skills
• Advanced proficiency with standard cost accounting practices and methodologies, and applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Highly proficient in Excel (v-lookup, pivot tables), knowledge of ERP systems (MS Dynamics)
• Understanding of operations process flow
• Self-starter who is able to work independently and take initiative
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.
Your application was submitted successfully.