Do you have 10 years retail and food service sales experience in the meat industry? Are you able to develop and execute sales strategy, convert new business leads as well as expand product offerings with existing key customers? Do you excel at relationship building and attribute-based selling? If you are a great communicator, can close the deal, and love to work in a dynamic, fast paced team environment fueled by a branded and private label meat processing powerhouse, then you will be a great addition to our sales team. Read on and apply to this growth opportunity in the west Toronto area.
The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported beef and lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.
To learn more about our company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
Reporting to the VP Sales, Canada, the Senior Sales Manager is responsible for the Company’s sales, sales promotion, market development, and customer service activities for Eastern Canada. This role is responsible for developing and implementing sales strategy, and monitoring, analyzing, and achieving retail and food service sales goals as measured against agreed to plan with the goal of achieving and maximizing short and long-term margin, volume, and market retention/penetration goals for the Company’s product lines. The Senior Sales Manager works closely with the North American sales and marketing teams to meet Shareholder expectations in terms of growth, returns, customer service and Company values while maintaining certainty of supply of The Lamb Company product to all customers in the region. This position also works closely with the Plant Manager to ensure accurate planning for production and customer fulfillment.
- Sales Strategy: Together with the VP Sales, Canada and other members of the sales team, the Senior Sales Manager researches and develops annual strategies and plans, identifying opportunities for better serving existing retail and food service customers and fulfilling new customer needs in the region.
- Sales and Marketing: In conjunction with the VP Sales, Canada, and working closely with other team members, develops an annual sales plan and where appropriate, long term marketing plans. Assists with the preparation of all sales operational plans, including sales business plans and budgets, ensuring that they are complete, align with the objectives of the organization, and adhere to statutory requirements and are completed on time. Manage full sales cycle from prospect through to product implementation. Coordinates the planning, development, issuance and delivery of company promotional and sales communications materials ensuring that local requirements around language and messaging are respected.
- Procurement Plans: Working closely with the North American procurement team, reviews and confirms monthly and seasonal inventory replenishment orders in line with the annual sales plan and shifting customer demand. Keeps VP Sales, Canada and procurement team aware of any planned and new feature/ad activity that will require additional product. Additionally, keeps VP Sales, Canada current on matters of importance for the organization and reports on and recommends solutions to resolve variations to budget in sales performance.
- Customer & Distribution Relationship Management: Maintains and strengthens mutually beneficial, profitable, effective and enduring customer relationships with superior communications, programs and distribution strategies for strategic and exclusive/primary supply contracts with major retail and food service users. In accordance with the strategic objectives of the organization, identifies prospective customers and distribution channels and actively develops relationships with the view to convert into profitable and sustainable business. Directly manages major and critical developing customer accounts. Maintains continuous contact with designated clients at both the buying and senior management levels and regular contact with select industry counterparts and intercompany peers.
- Logistics and Transportation: Communicates the channels of distribution in the region in conjunction with Transportation and Logistics personnel to ensure timely, reliable deliveries of customer orders. Monitors stocks on hand in regional storage centres maintaining proper inventory levels within corporate guidelines and ensuring proper product rotation.
- Performance Effectiveness: Achieves all financial, customer, product, and business goals in the designated market and in every product line on a monthly and annual basis. Reviews and monitors accounts receivables for designated customers, ensuring prompt payments are received so as to reduce Company exposure to bad debts and to improve cash flow. Prepares monthly territory reports and general comments on customer’s products versus plan and market activity on a timely basis. Ensures that the VP Sales, Canada is kept informed of all pertinent developments risks, opportunities, and information relating to designated market. In conjunction with the VP Sales, Canada, prepares and undertakes professional development.
- Business Development: Identifies and considers opportunities for business growth and development. Identifies and executes new retail product opportunities. Maintains a solid market intelligence network to keep abreast of competitive activities and customer developments and to safeguard the company’s financial and volume interests.
- Achieves all retail and food service brands and sales, market share, volume, revenue, profit and accounts receivable objectives on a monthly and an annual basis, for designated customers, ensuring retention and growth of the client base.
- Adheres to the Company inventory targets and ensures the successful delivery of retail and food service products, within the Company’s approved procurement programs at all times and throughout the region, fully satisfying customer supply needs.
- Customer satisfaction and loyalty survey scores meet survey objectives and key customers meet or exceed same
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position:
- College degree or equivalent
- 10 years’ experience as a Senior Sales Manager developing and implementing sales strategy in a sizeable North American meat manufacturer or distributor
- Previous experience in retail fresh and frozen protein sales, preferably beef, and previous experience selling to major retailers, such as Metro, Loblaws, Costco or Walmart. Food Service experience with Gordon Food Service and Sysco, an asset
- Understanding of case ready retail ready further processed meat processing capabilities
- Previous attribute-based selling style in the grass fed protein market, an asset
- Demonstrated skills in strategic demand planning and execution. Displays strong commercial acumen. Analyses key drivers, opportunities, and competitive advantages to develop and execute on strategies to benefit the Company’s business. Has been able to develop and convert strategic business relationships into valuable business. High degree of expertise in contract negotiation, structuring, setting, and managing sales quota and revenue goals
- Understands and has appropriate relationships and a track record of securing supply to ensure fulfillment of customer needs
- Proven ability to plan marketing strategy and promotional and advertising campaigns, across all media and platforms
- Outstanding customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Bilingual (verbal and written) – English and French to service the Canadian market in both official languages
- Demonstrates professionalism throughout the organization and is a credible and trustworthy person who holds the respect and loyalty of all stakeholders; has tenacity in pursuing goals and ensures that personal goals align with and contribute to attainment of Company goals.
- Is open to and accepts taking on such responsibilities as assigned by the VP Sales for Canada to support achievement of annual and strategic business goals
- Results driven and able to effectively handle the high stress, time and travel demands that come with responsibility as Senior Sales Manager for the Lamb Company’s operations in Eastern Canada
- Must have strong MS Office skills and ERP software knowledge