Do you have 5 or more years industrial maintenance mechanic experience supervising other mechanics in the meat processing industry?
Do you have electrical or welding experience?
Do you thrive in a dynamic work environment and have good computer skills?
Are you fluent in English and Spanish?
Then read on to learn about our hands-on Maintenance Manager opportunity in Compton, California, located in Americold Cold Storage facility. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, previous supervisory experience and a pride in doing a good job.
The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported beef and lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
To learn more about our company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
Industrial Maintenance Manager
The Industrial Millwright Maintenance Manager drives shareholder value and supports production by safely maintaining The Lamb Company processing equipment to produce the highest quality products, satisfying Health & Safety guidelines, GMP practices, environmental and regulatory requirements. Reporting to the Plant Manager at the Compton Processing Facility, the Industrial Millwright Maintenance Manager is a team leader and hands on mechanic. Monitors and maintains smooth plant operation, including production and packaging processes, support systems and facilities, such as minor plumbing within the processing room. Installs, troubleshoots and repairs all food processing and packaging equipment for optimal functioning and minimal downtime. Performs preventative maintenance, maintains records, manages maintenance budget, parts inventory and cost control, and keeps management apprised of issues.
- Coaches, mentors and supervises team of Industrial Mechanics, enhancing continuous on the job skill development
- With little or no supervision, disassembles / assembles, repairs, constructs, overhauls, maintains and installs all types of new and existing processing and packaging equipment and conveying, hydraulic and air systems as required
- Develops, implements and maintains a preventative maintenance program on production equipment and facilities in accordance with production schedules
- Leads by example and performs preventive and predictive maintenance tasks, maintaining records of repairs
- Responds to calls for service to any line in a timely manner, makes adjustments and repairs to ensure as little downtime as possible
- Independently troubleshoots equipment that is in need of repair or that is operating at a substandard level
- Assists with tooling changeover and machine start-up
- Follows and maintains corporate policies relating to GMPs, and Health & Safety program, especially Lock-Out Tag-Out, including reporting and documentation
- Keeps accurate records of findings and corrective action for traceability
- Maintains Machine shop and equipment, and orders replacement parts through purchase orders approved by the Plant Manager, tracks costs and manages maintenance budget
- Prime contact for 3rd party vendors when beyond scope of team’s abilities, as needed
- Communicates relevant information to the Plant Manager and fellow employees regarding equipment, GMP, or safety concerns
- Performs other related duties as assigned, and initiates recommendations to further enhance the company’s recognition as a top employer
Key Success Measures
- Machines are in good repair and functioning to capacity
- New equipment is installed, tested and maintained according to manufacturer’s specifications to ensure safe operations
- Maintenance programs are updated and appropriate records are kept
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position
- Licensed Millwright with experience in the food (meat) processing / packaging sector
- Extensive mechanical knowledge, including power transmission, pneumatics and hydraulics, plumbing, and electrical certification an asset
- Certified electrician, able to do PLC diagnosing and repair a major asset
- 5 plus years of experience and repair knowledge on food processing, high-speed packaging, conveyors, material handling equipment, and plant utilities
- 2 plus years managing, mentoring, coaching and developing Maintenance Mechanics
- Must be able to safely operate and repair various production equipment such as roll stock machine (Reiser), case ready machine (Ross), Vemag machine, grinders, bandsaws, power tools, etc.
- Must be knowledgeable in the proper use of equipment Lock-Out/Tag-Out requirements, portable fire extinguishers, and Protective Equipment Requirements as they apply to maintenance personnel.
- Must have working knowledge of Occupational Safety & Health Administration, and GMP requirements as they pertain to maintenance activities at a food processing facility
- Stainless steel welding experience a major asset
- Organized self-starter with proven ability to co-ordinate and effectively follow up on multiple projects and assignments and meet all deadlines
- Excellent observational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to collect, maintain, evaluate data, summarize and write reports, and recommend continuous improvement
- Good oral, written and communication skills; able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with production staff
- Able to read / write and communicate effectively in English and Spanish
- Proficient in computer software, such as inventory / manufacturing software and Microsoft Office
- Enforces and adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices and complies with Regulatory Requirements and SQF System
- Team focused with high integrity, values and a positive can do attitude
- Able to work in cold temperature environment (32° to 38° Fahrenheit)
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.