The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported lamb and beef brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
Are you an outstanding Manufacturing Cost Accountant with 5+ years’ experience looking to make an impact through improving processes and recommending best practices?
Are you accurate, organized and efficient with a sense of urgency to complete all tasks?
Then read on to learn about our Senior Manufacturing Cost Accountant opportunity in our Etobicoke head office for our meat processing plant. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, excellent data collection and variance analysis skills. To learn more about our Company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
Position: Senior Manufacturing Cost Accountant – Canada
Reports To: Controller
The Senior Manufacturing Cost Accountant is responsible for assisting the Finance / Accounting department with collecting, updating and analyzing all relevant costing data to create and maintain standard costs for materials and labor, preparing cost of goods sold and production reports, and reconciling raw materials, work in progress and finished goods inventory. Additionally, monitors purchase orders and invoicing to prepare monthly accruals. Assists in cycle counts, production audits and implementing control systems. For all functional activities, works closely with the Production Managers and Production teams. Has a dotted line reporting relationship into the Director, Plant Operations.
- Data Collection: Collects data to update costing of each product; creates costing for new products; compiles documentation on standard costs and actual production costs
- Costing: Develops or enhances costing models for new and existing products, including standards for yield, labor and packaging; provides cost information to support business decisions
- Reporting: Prepares, reviews, analyzes and reconciles daily, weekly and monthly Production reports, including costing, inventory, yields and labor, and distributes to various parties. Ensures actual variance drivers are properly identified and reported
- Inventory Control: Coordinates weekly physical inventory counts and cycle counts on raw materials, finished products and packaging; investigates cycle counting variances and resolves issues; updates standard costs in the bill of materials; reconciles finished goods inventories; Ensures raw material inventory warehouses are up to date and accurately reflect inventory on hand by confirming daily usage and transfers are recorded on a timely basis; Compares stock status report to weekly physical counts and investigates discrepancies
- Analysis: Reviews and approves daily raw material usage and compares to finished goods produced. Investigates yield, labor, packaging, material usage and overhead variances to determine root cause, and recommend potential solutions to mitigate future variances
- KPIs: Formulates and tracks appropriate KPIs
- Process Monitoring: Monitors invoicing of raw materials into production room; monitors purchase orders for packaging and finished goods
- Monthly Accruals: Maintains production accrual list and prepares monthly accruals for packaging costs, labor and materials
- Special Projects: Performs other related duties and special projects as assigned, including formulating and implementing processes to stop recurring/ongoing issues. Develops and implements new control procedures to more efficiently record daily production activity. Initiates recommendations to further enhance the company’s recognition as a top employer.
- Systems: Assists in the implementation of new scanning system, Merit-Trax, and uses daily to check yields and build reports for management review
- Invoicing: Reviews and approves production related invoices for packaging, supplies, labor, etc. Verifies expense coding.
- Monthly Results: Prepares monthly production results
Key Success Measures:
- Accurate & Timely Costing: All product costing is accurate, documented and communicated to ensure good business decisions and controls and completed in a timely manner
- Work quality: Reports, analysis and processes are completed without error, align with the needs of the organization, adhere to statutory requirements, and are delivered on time
- Coaching: Is available, approachable and knowledgeable, and willing to coach others to achieve peak performance
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- 5 + years of experience in a cost accounting and analysis role in a fast-paced perishable food manufacturing environment, meat industry experience an asset
- Organized and detail oriented with the ability to compile, analyze and interpret data
- Strong communication and collaboration skills and ability to influence change
- Advanced proficiency with standard cost accounting practices and methodologies, and applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Highly proficient in Excel (v-lookup, pivot tables), knowledge of ERP systems (MS Dynamics)
- Understanding of manufacturing plant operations process flow
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and take initiative, prioritize effectively and meet goals and deadlines
- Ability to multitask with a sense of urgency and accuracy
- Inspires and motivates teams to work collaboratively to achieve objectives by driving a culture of trust, mutual respect, integrity, and high performance
- Enthusiastic, flexible and consistent with a strong team work attitude
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NOTE: As an essential services employer, without the ability to work remotely, we require all workers to have the COVID-19 vaccines.
The Lamb Company welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.