Do you have 3 years industrial maintenance mechanic experience supervising other mechanics in the food processing/packaging industry?
Do you have preventative maintenance, electrical trouble-shooting or welding experience?
Do you thrive in a dynamic, fast paced work environment?
Are you fluent in English?
Then read on to learn about our hands-on Maintenance and Reliability Supervisor opportunity in Compton, California, located in Americold Cold Storage facility. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, previous Team Lead or Supervisory experience, continuous improvement approach and pride in doing a great job.
The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported beef and lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
To learn more about our company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
The Lamb Company offers great pay, Company paid benefits and rewarding work in a growth industry.
The Maintenance and Reliability Supervisor drives shareholder value and supports production by safely maintaining The Lamb Company processing equipment to produce the highest quality products, satisfying Health & Safety guidelines, GMP practices, environmental and regulatory requirements. Reporting to the Plant Manager at the Compton Processing Facility, the Maintenance and Reliability Supervisor is a roll up your sleeves hands on team leader. This role will monitor and maintain smooth plant operation, including production and packaging processes, support systems and facilities, such as minor plumbing within the processing room. Installs, troubleshoots, repairs and retrofits all food processing and packaging equipment for optimal functioning and minimal downtime. Performs preventative maintenance, maintains records, manages maintenance budget, asset management including parts inventory and cost control, and keeps management apprised of issues.
- Coaches, mentors and supervises team of Maintenance Technicians, enhancing continuous on the job skill development and adherence to all policies and regulations
- With little or no supervision, disassembles / assembles, repairs, constructs, overhauls, maintains and installs and tests all types of new and existing processing and packaging equipment and conveying, hydraulic and air systems as required
- Develops, implements and maintains a preventative maintenance program on production equipment and facilities in accordance with production schedules
- Leads by example and performs preventive and predictive maintenance tasks, equipment reliability, maintaining records of repairs and root cause analysis of critical or repetitive equipment failures
- Responds to calls for service to any line in a timely manner, makes adjustments and repairs to ensure as little downtime as possible
- Independently troubleshoots equipment that is in need of repair or that is operating at a substandard level
- Assists with tooling changeover, machine start-up and SMED (Single minute exchange of die) applications
- Prepare and implement planned maintenance strategies that support safety, people engagement, quality, cost and continuous improvement initiatives
- Follows and maintains corporate policies relating to GMPs, Food Safety, and Health & Safety program, especially Lock-Out Tag-Out, including reporting and documentation
- Keeps accurate records of findings and corrective action for traceability
- Maintains Machine shop and equipment, and orders replacement parts through purchase orders approved by the Plant Manager, tracks costs and manages maintenance budget
- Prime contact for 3rd party vendors when beyond scope of team’s abilities, as needed
- Communicates relevant information to the Plant Manager and fellow employees regarding equipment, GMP, or safety concerns
- Performs other related duties as assigned, and initiates recommendations to further enhance the company’s recognition as a top employer
- Keeps all tools in good and safe condition, stored in appropriate place, and cleans all equipment and related areas after repairs or PM’s
Key Success Measures
- Machines are in good repair and functioning to ensure operational profitability
- New equipment is installed, tested and maintained according business case in conjunction with manufacturer’s specifications to ensure safe operations
- Maintenance programs are updated and appropriate records are kept
- Meeting or exceeding plant operational KPIs
Qualifications & Considerations for the Position
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Licensed Millwright with experience in the food (meat, bakery, seafood) processing value added / packaging / CPG sector
- Extensive mechanical knowledge, including power transmission, pneumatics and hydraulics, plumbing, and electrical certification an asset
- Familiar with PLC diagnosing and repair, an asset
- 3 plus years of experience and repair knowledge on food processing, high-speed packaging, conveyors, material handling equipment, and plant utilities
- 1 plus years supervising, mentoring, coaching and developing Maintenance Technicians
- Must be able to safely operate and repair various production equipment such as roll stock machine, case ready machine, vacuum packing and sealing machine, thermoforming machine, grinders, bandsaws, power tools and other standard food industry equipment etc.
- Must be knowledgeable in the proper use of equipment Lock-Out/Tag-Out requirements, portable fire extinguishers, and Protective Equipment Requirements as they apply to maintenance personnel.
- Must have working knowledge of Occupational Safety & Health Administration (local, state and federal health & safety regulations), and GMP requirements as they pertain to maintenance activities at a food processing facility
- Stainless steel welding experience a major asset
- Organized self-starter with proven ability to coordinate and effectively follow up on multiple projects and assignments and meet all deadlines
- Excellent observational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to collect, maintain, evaluate data, summarize and write reports, and recommend continuous improvement
- Good oral, written and communication skills; able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with production staff
- Able to read / write and communicate effectively in English ; Spanish an asset
- Proficient in computer software, such as inventory / manufacturing software and Microsoft Office
- Enforces and adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices and complies with Regulatory Requirements and SQF System
- Team focused with high integrity, values and a positive can do attitude
- Able to work in cold temperature environment (32° to 38° Fahrenheit)
- Embodies a mindset of continuous improvement; experience in the practical application of Lean, Six Sigma and operational excellence methodologies would be an asset
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NOTE: As an essential services employer, without the ability to work remotely, we require all workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The Lamb Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.