Do you have 1 or more years' experience as a meat inspector in the food processing industry?
Are you willing to learn and are able to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic work environment?
Then read on to learn about our Meat Inspector opportunity in Pedricktown, NJ. This role will appeal to people who have a strong work ethic, great communication skills (English - Spanish an asset) and take pride in doing a good job.
We offer a competitive hourly rate and Company paid benefits
The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported beef and lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
About the Role:
Reports to: Quality Assurance Manager
Shift: Days - Monday to Friday, Optional overtime on Saturday
The Meat Inspector works with the Food Safety and Quality Assurance department to ensure that food safety, quality standards and procedures are met and aligned with internal / external guidelines and customer specifications. Works closely with leaders and employees, Sales and Procurement and an external Inspector with United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).Inspects and accepts or rejects incoming and outbound shipments of meat on the basis of food safety requirements, customer, regulatory, industry and internal standards. Inspects customer returns and conducts investigations. Tracks Supplier and Production deficiencies, reports findings to Sales, Procurement, Production and Suppliers, and recommends corrective actions based on trend analyses to ensure compliance with all food safety regulations and customer specifications. Performs QA Technician duties on the Production floor daily as needed.
- Accountability and Dependability
- Quality Orientation
- Results Orientation
Demonstrate and uphold Core Values in interactions with internal and external partners:
- ENGAGEMENT - Displays enthusiasm for job duties and participates in the attainment and advancement of organizational goals and interests.
- INNOVATION - Displays the ability to think outside the box in order to develop creative and new solutions or products that meets current and future needs.
- PROFESSIONALISM - Displays the behaviors and competencies that are expected of the position and the organization.
- RESPECT - Displays an appreciation of different opinions, roles, experiences and backgrounds, follows the chain of command.
- Incoming & Outbound Product Inspection: Responsible for verifying the arrival conditions of all incoming products to ensure appropriate storage was met and product is wholesome and in saleable condition. Accountable for ensuring quality specs are met for all outbound shipments. Takes photos and performs various tests to ensure food safety, and product specs are met. Accepts or rejects shipment based on findings:
- Temperature Control - Uses temperature logger software to record and analyze shipment results
- Sensory Test – Performs visual and organoleptic evaluation
- Label Compliance – Verifies expiry date, placement of label, Lot number labels, product codes, weights, verification, labels are USDA approved, etc.
- Packaging Conformance – Ensures appropriate packaging to specifications, including box, bag, strapping, bone guard, and packaging is USDA approved, etc. to ensure tares are accurate
- Product Conformance – inspects for conformance to product specifications such as fat trim, cutting lines, bone count, etc.
- Microbiology Test - computes shelf life expectancy, takes microbiological samples and sends to 3rd party lab for testing, tracks and records microbial results (E.coli 0157:H7, Salmonella) and provides to USDA Inspector for review.
- Yield Test – conducts yield test, enters results into yield test database and sends report to Sales
- Documentation: Prepares and tracks Product Evaluation Reports using data gathered from the inspection process. Updates raw materials inventory with results of receiving inspections. Maintains / updates Product Spec Sheets.
- Investigations: Investigates and reports anomalies immediately. Communicates quality deviations to Quality Assurance Team Leader, Sales, Director of Food Safety & Quality Assurance, Procurement and Director of Operations.
- Corrective Action: Recommends and implements corrective actions in consultation with QA, Sales, Procurement and Production Management team.
- Reporting: Maintains complete and accurate records. Builds Claims Reports as needed with supporting documentation. Regularly reports to suppliers with findings and corrective action.
- Trend Analysis: Actively reviews data to spot trends and make recommendations to address them with the Management team, Suppliers, and others as required.
- Returned Product Inspection: Is responsible for returned product inspection, documentation, reporting and corrective action.
- Regular QA Assistant duties on the processing line:
- Temperature, product, label verifications
- Metal detection testing
- Yield testing
- Hold and release
- Document review and verification
- Customer Service: Provides support that is friendly, valued, knowledgeable, and timely.
- Other Duties: Performs other related duties as assigned, and initiates recommendations to further enhance the company’s recognition as a top employer.
- Perform all work to organizational standards to ensure final product meets food safety and quality standards
- Ensure general housekeeping around assigned area or request assistance as needed
- Work effectively as part of a team to ensure productivity and efficiency
- Follow all standard operating procedures, company policies and provincial and federal safety guidelines
- Participate in training and cross training, and help coworkers as needed
- Other duties shall be assigned as required
- High School or Post-Secondary Diploma, or equivalent work experience
- 1 or more years food safety experience in the meat processing/inspection industry
- Food Safety Inspection Certification, or willingness to complete within 6 months of hire
- Strong knowledge of butchery or cuts of meat an asset
- Fluent in English, Spanish an asset
- Working knowledge of:
- Quality Assurance principles, sanitation, recall, internal audit and food safety methodologies
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) meat processing / inspection regulations
- Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI)
- Food Safety Enhancement Program(FSEP)
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Safe Quality Food (SQF) v9
- Organized self-starter with proven ability to manage and effectively follow up on multiple duties and meet all deadlines in a time and hygiene sensitive industry
- Excellent observational, math, and decision-making skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to collect, maintain, evaluate data, summarize and write reports, and recommend continuous improvement
- Good oral, written and communication skills; able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with production and office staff and external USDA Inspectors, and Auditors
- Proficient in computer software, such as inventory / traceability software, manufacturing software, product testing equipment and Microsoft Office
- Team player with high integrity, values and a positive attitude
Work Conditions / Physical Demands:
- Ability to perform regular lifting of packaged meat (up to 60 lbs), work with minimal supervision in temperature controlled environments, including coolers (34 degrees Fahrenheit) and freezers (- 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Safety equipment is required, e.g. steel-toe safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, hearing protection, gloves, face masks, etc.
- Repetitive tasks within a fast-paced environment
- Ability to stand, bend, and reach for long periods of time
- Manual dexterity required
- Overtime as required
To learn more about our Company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NOTE: As an essential services employer, without the ability to work remotely, we require all workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The Lamb Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.